Highlighting four years of memories in last hurrah

After more than three years and 125 articles and columns, today marks the last time you will be subjected to the mug shot located just above these words.

During my tenure, I have seen the football program resurrected and the men's basketball squad dissected. The men's lacrosse team became national champions, and the Virginia men's tennis team added another ACC crown to the Cavalier résumé.

While the Pep Band is no longer, the Virginia baseball team avoided a similar fate and even managed to pick up a new stadium and manager along the way.

Current Athletic Director Craig Littlepage assumed the reigns of the Cavalier Athletic Department and the legendary George Welsh road off into the sunset. I can also say that I was almost killed in the line of journalistic duty (really).

Nevertheless, I have nothing but fond memories of covering Cavalier sports. In that spirit, here are some of my favorite moments and stories from the past four years.

Top story: ACC expansion. This headliner dominated 2003. The decision to expand from nine to 11 (and eventually 12) schools was not only surprising but also dramatic. This story had everything you would want in a soap opera, from lawsuits to verbal barbs. And at the center of it all was the University of Virginia. It was ultimately President Casteen who demanded that the rival Hokies be included at the bargaining table. Even better, this story polarized ACC fans over whether it was good for the conference. Its impact will no doubt leave ripples of consequences for years to come.

Favorite story to cover: Debbie Ryan returning from cancer treatment two years ago to her familiar place on the women's basketball bench. Anyone who has had the pleasure of covering Ryan, a living legend in her sport, knows she is as tough as nails, as she proved again with her return to the sidelines.

Favorite story to write: My golfing adventure with the first family of college football, the Bowdens. An entertaining and cordial group, the afternoon was filled with laughs, anecdotes and the occasional birdie putt.

Favorite interview: Virginia football Offensive Coordinator Ron Prince. Talk about a solid individual who properly understands the balance between student and athlete. This guy is it. As nice, engaging and accommodating an individual as I have come across covering the Cavaliers. Insightful and personable, Coach Prince was a joy to talk to. With him leading the Cavalier offense for years to come, the future looks extremely bright.

(Note: I took myself out of the running to avoid any improper allegations of nepotism.)

With a tip of the cap to all who improved my work, I would finally like to take a moment to thank you, the reader. Trying to monitor the sports pulse of the student body has been an arduous task yet a worthwhile endeavor. I hope that I have provided you with insightful knowledge in an entertaining fashion. That, at least, was the goal. Regardless of how successful I was, it has been a privilege and pleasure to serve you.