Flogging Molly's latest effort echoes previous successes

Given the unprecedented number of self-righteous white kids out there claiming they're Irish, one would tend to liken Flogging Molly's American foothold to that of a multi-platinum artist. While the truth speaks otherwise, the band's third offering, "Within a Mile of Home," just might be the springboard for the septet's warranted recognition.

Chances are if you're reading this and maintain an Irish pedigree, you're merely the twelfth descendent of an Icelandic Viking who roamed the UK coasts ages ago. If I'm wrong, fine -- but if the standard by which you assert your Celtic pride is anywhere in that realm, then Flogging Molly's most recent effort is guaranteed to bring out the leprechaun in you.

You know, come to think of it, there really isn't much to dislike about this band -- neither on this CD, nor on their previous two full lengths, "Drunken Lullabies" and "Swagger." The bottom line is they're unique, refreshing and a boatload of fun. I know those words get tossed around to describe just about any quasi-admirable band these days, but with these guys, it's the plain old truth. If you think Yellowcard's use of a fiddle is impressive, then you've got a lot of rethinking to do.

After numerous listens to "Home," I can't help but think that there's nothing awfully new to be had on it. Then again, it would be ignorant to expect atypical material from the 'Molly. They count on the consistency of their work, and so far that plan has worked just fine.

The first track off "Home," called "Screaming at the Wailing Wall," reflects all that has made Flogging Molly a household name in the play lists of every Warped Tour teen's iPod. The song never slows down, carrying with it an easy sing-along chorus and an inspiring liberal undercurrent that make you want to get off the couch and start a circle pit. I recommend requesting this at your local pub.

Next up is "The Seven Deadly Sins," an ode to pirates everywhere. If you think I'm kidding, I'm not. We all know pirates don't exist anymore, but who said we can't rock on with their lofty spirit and headstrong attitude? For being a "single," it actually took me a while to groove to this song. Not that it's bad by any means -