ISC adopts new online system to manage recruits

The Inter-Sorority Council will outline new changes to its recruitment procedures for the coming year starting Sunday as part of its annual series of informational sessions held to introduce women to Greek life.

The series of sessions will also outline the ISC's expectations of the women participating in the process and recruitment counselors will be available to meet individually with women who have specific questions, ISC President Courtney Cherry said.

This year, a new Web-based system, called "University Solutions," will essentially run the recruitment process, Cherry said.

Women now will be able to pay and register for recruitment online. Once the recruitment process is underway, participants will receive invites to events online and will be able to select the chapters to which they wish to return via computer as well, Cherry said.

Cherry added that the ISC will keep hardcopies of all the information submitted online.

The recruitment processes, however, will still be facilitated through recruitment counselors, she said.

"We want to continue to maintain the relationship between the women and their recruitment chairs, so they can get good advice," Cherry said.

Recruitment counselors will undergo extensive training with the new computer system, in order to better assist the women participating in rush.

Throughout the recruitment process, the individual chapters will now be able to submit their nightly invite lists via the Internet.

"This eliminates a lot of safety concerns and anxieties," Cherry said. "Women will no longer have to hand-deliver the lists in the middle of the night."

She added that chapters will eventually be able to use the new program for their individual management functions.

Cherry said the ISC chose the new program after meeting with their own recruitment team as well as individual chapter recruitment chairs this summer.

Assistant Dean of Students Chris McGill said the University was formerly using a DOS based system for Greek databases, and is one of the last universities in the country to switch to the new program.

University Solutions will also be used to implement a total-quota system this year, in order to accommodate as many women as possible, Cherry said.

The quota system will regulate the number of women each chapter is allowed to accept during the recruitment process.

"We are creating a flexible and adaptable system for women going through recruitment, rather than having the finite system we have had in the past," Cherry said.