U.Va.'s First Student Opera, 'Dido and Aeneas,' Belts it Out

Visions of men in tights, dramatic deaths and bustiers may come to mind when thinking of opera. Many preconceived notions about the form abound, not all of them positive. But you won't see any fat ladies singing this weekend. The University's first student-produced opera, Spectrum Theater's Dido and Aeneas overcomes rigid assumptions through its unorthodox take on the art form.

Henry Purcell composed his only opera in the late 17th century, at the age of 19. Though Dido and Aeneas is unfinished, it is world-famous and well-performed because of its flexibility: different editions interchange genders and vocal ranges. While the heart of the narrative follows the tragic love affair between Carthaginian queen Dido and Trojan prince Aeneas, there is also a subtle political undertone concerning culture clash.

Director Annie Holt is pleased to have found a masterwork that can be adapted for a modern audience. Holt anticipates the audience will reference the current situations in Afghanistan and Iraq. She hopes to highlight this underlying theme, and is "interested in awakening the issues and letting the audience think about them."

While Holt's interpretation is somewhat political, the opera's story of tragic love remains the focus for the actors. Demanding great emotional intensity, the melodramatic storyline often exceeds actors' personal experience.

"I choose to turn to the music itself because music has always been such a source of emotional expression for me, not only the words but the actual sound of the music," said Nicole Barrick, who will sing Dido.

A piano will serve as the only accompaniment, making the individual voices vulnerable and accessible without the pomp of a full orchestra. While music director Daniel Hine had the option of having an orchestra, he said the lone piano sound "works very well" and will put emphasis on the lyrics, which, to the delight of listeners, are presented entirely in English.

Audience members should not expect the Dido and Aeneas they may know from Virgil's Aeneid. Written at the start of the Enlightenment in Britain, Purcell humanizes Virgil's text, making the characters more approachable. The opera itself is also easy to digest, clocking in at about an hour.

"A lot of people assume from this opera that she's just a hysterical drama queen who is slain by her love," Barrick said of Dido.

Within this character, however, Barrick has found someone who is torn between her people and her innermost desires. Aeneas, on the other hand, is a typical soldier, taking orders without asking questions. Jonah Lampkin, who will sing Aeneas, said he understands Aeneas' "aggravation, anger and depression."

"He's abandoned control of himself," Lampkin said.

The most striking visual aspect of the production is that characters will appear in modern dress. For example, instead of wearing a more traditional toga, the seafaring Aeneas will be dressed in naval officer's garb. While Holt admits seeing actors wear outlandish costumes in traditional opera is enjoyable and beautiful, with this production she is "interested in showing the characters to the audience as people just like them."

While most Baroque operas contain some element of ballet sandwiched between major scenes, this production omitted the ballet. Dance aficionados need not despair -- Barrick will have a self-choreographed belly dance number guided from her experience as a member of the Belly Dancing Club. All of these visual elements attempt "gratuitous pretty," a joke shared by the cast, or the certain opulence one expects from opera.

From modern costumes to belly dancing, many artistic liberties have been taken with this production. The score itself was compiled from three separate editions pieced together to form a creative and engaging opera.

"When you actually do your research and do the work that a good musician is supposed to do, you can create a very, very impactful experience for the audience," Hine said.

Everyone involved in Dido and Aeneas will tell you audience accessibility was on the forefront when preparing the show. While opera may be a strong part of the consciousness of those involved, the director and cast realize that for the average person, opera can be disaffecting.

"When I talk to people about this opera, I kind of cheat and sell them the convincing points," Barrick said. "I say, 'Well, it's in English, it's short and it's in modern dress. So, if nothing else, at least you'll be able to understand what's going on.'"

Holt also offered an appeal that "this is not your grandparents' opera."

"I think that this is going to be engaging to the average person," she said.

The opera may be a new experience or it may be a honed part of your listening repertoire. In any case, for five bucks and just an hour of your time, Spectrum's production of Dido and Aeneas offers a unique chance to get cultured on Grounds.

Dido and Aeneas runs February 25, 26 and 27 at 8 p.m. in Garrett Hall (across from the amphitheater). Tickets are available for $5 at the door.