Cavaliers look for two ACC wins

After splitting a pair of non-conference matches last weekend, Virginia returns to conference play as it takes on N.C. State tonight and Duke tomorrow in Memorial Gym.

In a season marked by several close losses, Virginia (6-7, 1-1 ACC) is desperately searching for a big win as it prepares for the ACC tournament.

"Good teams squeak out close wins, and right now, we've been close, but we haven't actually got it done," Virginia coach Steve Garland said. "We've had some good wins, but not ones where we've really had a dead-even match, and we've got to somehow battle to get that one-point victory."

The Cavaliers have an additional incentive to win, as many notable wrestling alumni will be in attendance. The team will be honoring Virginia's only three ACC championship teams from 1974, 1975 and 1977 by unveiling a banner in their honor. The team hopes to put on a performance that will leave alumni with a good impression.

"I told my guys that at practice, they've got to step up, because people are driving a long way to watch them perform," Garland said. "You win, they're going to come back; you lose, I'm not so sure. People like watching winners, they don't like supporting losers."

A win against North Carolina State (9-7, 2-2 ACC) would certainly help win the alumni's support. The Wolfpack has won seven of its last 10 matches, including a huge upset over No. 18 Indiana last weekend. The Wolfpack has significant threats at 133 pounds, 157 pounds, 165 pounds, 197 pounds and heavyweight --- all of these wrestlers rank in the top 18 in the nation. For the Cavaliers to pull out the win, their key players must come through.

"We've got to get our stars to get the big wins," Garland said. "Eric Albright and Rocco Caponi, the same guys we've been talking about all year, they've got to set the tone for this team."

Albright in particular needs to get going. After being ranked No. 12 in the nation two weeks ago, the sophomore lost two straight matches in meets against Virginia Tech and Ohio before finally coming up with a victory in the match against Division II Ashland.

"I'm probably in the biggest slump of my life right now over the last couple weeks," Albright said. "I know some of the other kids on the team are too, and it's mentally draining, because it almost breaks you, it makes you consider so much all the negative thoughts running through your head. You've got to keep that out, and just keep the positive."

The match against Duke (7-6, 0-3 ACC) could be a good time for Virginia to regain its footing. The Cavaliers are eager to get onto the mat to prove they are the better team.

"Duke, that one's going to be a big confidence builder for a lot of kids on the team," Albright said. "Duke's going to be one where we're the better team, and we're going to go out and just dominate them all over the mat."

Both of these meets are vital to the Cavaliers as the season winds down. When it comes time for the ACC tournament, all of the Cavaliers have to be at their peak, both physically and mentally.

"There's a lot of mental stuff going on this time of year -- a lot of kids just want to quit," Albright said. "The kids that do the best at the end of the year are the ones that are working the hardest, so we're trying to work through all the slumps now."