Virginia drivers to face harsher penalties

Virginia drivers committing serious traffic violations can expect to pay up to $3,000 in additional fees starting July 1.

The fees, which are known as "civil remedial fees," apply to both misdemeanors and felonies, including reckless driving and DUI, according to an explanation by the Office of the Executive Secretary of the Supreme Court.

The purpose of adding these fees was "to charge activity that caused congestion," said Virginia Del. Dave Albo, who led the effort to include the fees.

The bill, which was signed by Gov. Tim Kaine in April, creates new ways of funding recently approved state transportation projects.

A Feb. 6 statement from Kaine regarding the bill noted that solving Virginia's transportation problems "will require substantial additional revenues."

According to Albo, the new fees "pay for about one-third of the new statewide revenue."

He added that the money generated will be used for maintenance and construction.

The additional fees are applied to the annual driver's license fee, Albo said. For this reason, they can only be applied to in-state residents.

According to Law Prof. Mildred Robinson, this could create a situation in which out-of-state drivers feel "a little less deterred" from violating traffic laws.

Robinson also said these fees will have a "huge impact" on less affluent Virginians.

Whether or not the new law is challenged in courts remains to be seen, Robinson added.

Albo noted that the new fees will only be charged to those committing offenses punishable by jail time. According to Albo, the only two ways a driver will face the additional fees is by committing a serious traffic violation or by accumulating an excess of driver's license "points" with repeated tickets.