Car hits student on JPA

A student was struck by a car at a crosswalk on Jefferson Park Avenue Wednesday afternoon. Third-year Nursing student Alicia Dean was involved in the accident, which occurred at 3:41 p.m. at the intersection of Jefferson Park Avenue and Emmett Street, according to Charlottesville Police Sgt. M.G. Davis.

The driver was attempting to make a left-hand turn to continue onto JPA when he struck Dean in the crosswalk, Davis said.

According to Dean, she was running across the street with her headphones on when the accident occurred.

"The last thing I remember is stepping into the crosswalk," Dean said.

Dean was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, but said she suffered only bruises and abrasions. "Other than being sore all over, I'm doing fine," she said.

According to Davis, the driver is being charged in the accident, but he advised pedestrians to proceed with caution while crossing the street.

"The pedestrian does have a right of way, but it doesn't give you the right to step out in front of a car and expect them to stop," Davis said.

University Police Lt. Melissa Fielding also encouraged students to be careful while traveling around Grounds on foot.

"We ask that pedestrians and drivers look out for each other and slow down, especially as approaching the University area," Fielding said, adding that pedestrians should stop and make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street.

"Ideally, we want anybody on the street to be fully aware of their surroundings while walking or driving," Fielding said.

According to Associate Dean of Students Aaron Laushway, the University has taken measures to ensure the safety of student pedestrians.

"Some years ago, a safety committee worked very hard to have the pedestrian walkways on Emmet Street very clearly marked with reminders that pedestrians have the right of way," Laushway said.

Laushway urged students to use these walkways at all times and to be careful when crossing the street.

"If people are cognizant of their surroundings, mindful of traffic, use the available pedestrian sidewalks and pay attention to traffic signals, everything should be fine," Laushway said.