Offensive line proves key to success of Peerman, Sewell

Virginia junior running back Cedric Peerman has compiled an impressive line of statistics this season that reads something like this: 566 total rushing yards (1st in ACC), 5.2 yards per carry (4th), five touchdowns (tied for 2nd), 113.2 rushing yards per game (1st) and a long run of 58 yards (3rd). Plus, Peerman's twice broken his own single-game rushing record.

Peerman's success has been rehashed and is well-known by fans. But what does he repeatedly credit for his stellar performance so far this season? The offensive line. Not one to bask in his own glory, and like any running back looking to stay in good company with the big boys up front, Peerman is always looking to put in a good word or two for the guys who are helping to make his life easy each Saturday so far this fall. For the majority of the offense's snaps this season, those guys are junior tackle Eugene Monroe, junior guard Branden Albert, senior center Jordy Lipsey, senior guard Ian-Yates Cunningham and sophomore guard Will Barker.

After the win at North Carolina, Peerman expressed his gratitude for his teammates' support.

"I'm just happy that I'm running behind the guys I'm running behind," he said.

This game was when Peerman broke his own single-game rushing record the second time, gaining 186 yards. Following the game, Virginia coach Al Groh sounded satisfied, almost relieved, with the way the offensive line had progressed since the 2006 season.

"We've been long-awaiting the development of this offensive line," Groh said. "They went through their trial through apprenticeship last year."

Groh mentioned in a later press conference how inexperienced the offensive line was last year, with only limited game experience. This season, after a year of playing together, the offensive line is performing at a higher level, providing holes for Peerman and keeping sophomore quarterback Jameel Sewell safe.

"I think -- if you look at us now -- we're playing as though we're a different group than we were last year," Monroe said. "It's pretty obvious in the protection that we have on offense, and it's exciting to go back each week [and see how we've progressed] ... We're growing, maturing, understanding the game a little better. With that experience we have now, we turn it into production."

The sentiment is the same across the entire offensive line: development comes with experience.

This season has "been great," Lipsey said. "Last year was a learning year for a lot of us, and this year it's been great to have the opportunity to really come together and play well."

Not only has Virginia's coaching staff seen an increase in the offensive line's overall development, but during Saturday's blowout win over Pittsburgh, they found out that the offensive line sport some versatility.

Albert slid over from his normal guard spot to fill the shoes of the injured Monroe at tackle.

"Branden did real well," Groh said. "He could easily be a tackle. He's obviously a very good guard but he can just as easily be a tackle."

More good news about the Cavalier offensive line lies in its depth.

Since Albert replaced Monroe at tackle, someone needed to fill the vacant spot at guard.

Fifth-year senior Gordie Sammis, who had never started a game in his career, came in and did an "admirable job" according to Groh. He also cited Sammis as exemplifying the "we" and "us" attitude on the team.

The depth of the offensive line should be an added advantage for the rest of the season as fatigue starts to set in and Virginia embarks on the more challenging portion of the schedule. The likes of undefeated Connecticut, defending ACC champion Wake Forest and Virginia Tech will all be visiting Charlottesville in the coming weeks.

Like Peerman, Sewell knows the right thing to say when asked about his success this season.

"My frontmen, my offensive line, just giving me time, giving me space [is the key to my success]," Sewell said.

The praises Peerman and Sewell give the offensive line are mutual.

"You want to run the ball," Cunningham said. "You want to get it to Cedric because I think he's one of the best backs [in the ACC]. He can do some amazing things with the ball. He runs so hard. He carries the team with the rock, every time he touches it."

It looks like Peerman and Sewell may be treating the offensive line to a few chicken dinners before the end of the season.