Woo chosen as new College dean

Meredith Woo, associate dean for social sciences in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts at the University of Michigan, was named the new dean of the College of Arts & Sciences during a small ceremony at Carr's Hill yesterday afternoon.

Woo will take office at the University June 1, President John T. Casteen, III noted in his opening remarks.

In her remarks yesterday, Woo noted that she was attracted to the University for its Jeffersonain ideals and academic excellence.

"I am deeply honored to be coming to the University," Woo said.

Woo holds bachelor's degrees in English literature and history from Bowdoin College and earned master's degrees in international affairsand Latin American Studies, as well as a doctorate in political science, from Columbia University. She has even produced her own award-winning film, University Provost Arthur Garson said.

"Her ability to span from the humanities through the social sciences and into the hard sciences was unparalleled," Garson said.

He also noted that it is important to continue strengthening the different areas of study offered through the College and said he was thrilled with Woo's appointment.

"This dean is up to that task," Garson said.

The search committee responsible for selecting Woo was comprised of administrators, faculty, graduate and undergraduate student representatives and other members of the University community. The committee was very proud to welcome Woo, who is "a person of vision and great intellect," committee chair James Galloway said.

Former Arts & Sciences Council President Megan Roberts noted that a search committee last year was unable to appoint a College dean; Roberts noted that she believes this year's search was successful because -- "as in all employment searches" -- it was merely a matter of timing.

"We had less time last semester," said Roberts, who served on the search committee both last year and this year. "This year, we had a full year, and we also switched [outside] search firms. As a result ... we were really able to scour all the applicants."

Bill Harvey, University vice president and chief officer for diversity and equity, who served on the search committee, said the search process followed standard University procedures, noting he was encouraged by the both the "very energetic" process and results.

"During every step of the process ... [our goal] was to be sure we had a very qualified, diverse applicant pool," Harvey said, adding that he was pleased with the breadth of the finalists for the position.

Roberts said she was pleased with the outcome of the search.

"The new dean is fabulous," she said. "Meredith is brilliant, she has a strong personality and she'll fight for the College's interests."

Roberts said one of the College's goals is to improve the core sciences, noting that although Woo was the only finalist without a hard science background, she believes Woo will do an excellent job surrounding herself with scholars knowledgeable in those fields. In this way, Roberts said, Woo will be able to help the College reach its goals.

"I hope that she will increase unity in the College and strengthen interdisciplinary study," Roberts said, adding that she also hopes Woo also will address internationalization issues and diversity among University students, faculty and staff.

Last year's College dean search was unable to appoint a permanent dean; however, Politics Department Chair Jeffrey Legro said hiring Woo was an exceptionally strong move on the University's part. He said it was notable that the University hired an "outside" dean, rather than one culled from its own ranks, and added that since Woo is coming from a different university, she might infuse the College with a burst of new ideas and creativity.

English Department Chair Jahan Ramazani, who also serves as the chair of the Arts & Sciences steering committee, echoed Legro's enthusiasm regarding Woo's decision to serve the University. He said Woo stands out among her peers because she has a strong and clear academic vision, thoughtful leadership abilities and a dynamic capacity to mobilize faculty.

"I was very impressed that she didn't pay lip service to some of the buzzwords of academia, like globalization or interdisciplinary study," Ramazani said. "Rather, she has a measured understanding of those priorities with a surprisingly strong understanding of U.Va.'s student body."

Ramazani also noted that he was encouraged by Woo's appreciation of the need for increased funding for graduate-level education, which is, according to Ramazani, "a huge priority" these days. He added that he similarly was impressed by Woo's emphasis on clear communication with faculty.

"She understands the need for consultation with faculty, but at the same time, she understands the need to lead," Ramazani said. "I think she'll be a strong dean here."