City Council looks out for pedestrians

City to improve safety of roads with more signs, signals; Council focuses on improving conditions for disabled

University students and Charlottesville residents should begin to see major changes affecting pedestrian safety over the next six to nine months, according to Charlottesville Mayor Dave Norris.
“A committee has been looking at a variety of changes to make it safer for pedestrians to make their way through the downtown areas and the University,” Norris said, noting that the committee examined a variety of factors including traffic signs, signals and infrastructure.
Charlottesville residents should expect to see an increased number of signals and signs, Norris said, including more traffic signals with countdowns informing pedestrians of how much time is left to cross the street. Other planned improvements are intended to benefit city residents with disabilities and limited mobility, Norris added.
“The committee looked at infrastructure issues — sidewalks without curb cuts for people in wheelchairs,” he said.
In addition to physical improvements, Norris said the committee and Charlottesville City Council plan to educate the public more about how to respect pedestrian safety while driving and also will increase enforcement of the traffic laws, in an effort to make Charlottesville a safer community.
The idea for a committee to explore pedestrian safety stems in general from the Council’s interest in promoting alternative transportation, Norris said.
“One of the best alternatives [for driving] is increasing foot traffic and making it easier and safer for people to get by on foot,” Norris said. “The same goes for bicycles and public transit.”
But more specifically, Norris said several accidents occurred within the city last year involving pedestrians on foot and in wheelchairs that prompted Council to take a closer look at pedestrian safety.
“We need to make sure pedestrians have a safer way to get around,” Norris said.
Charlottesville resident Peter Kleeman suggested that one such incident that galvanized safety concerns occurred last year when a man in a wheelchair was hit by a police car while crossing the street.
“That inspired some concerns about pedestrian issues,” Kleeman said.
Second-year College student Damian Njoku said he approves of the addition of more signs and signals around the city to increase safety.
“The more the better,” Njoku said.
In contrast, fourth-year College student Blen Afework said she thinks pedestrians need to take more care to cross at actual crosswalks.
“A lot of students walk into the street and expect not to get hit,” she said.
Though second-year College student Patrick Slay said he does not think it is necessary to increase or improve sign availability and signals, he would be interested in lighting improvements, noting that he rides a bicycle often, and some of the roads on Grounds are not lit brightly enough.
“If people can’t see you, they’re going to hit you,” Slay said.
Like Slay, Colette Hall, North Downtown Residents Association president, said she approves of efforts to improve pedestrian safety, but wished some details of the process were different.
“Our neighborhood had no input about these regulations,” Hall said. “We are not against the recommendations, but you should really consult the neighborhood about doing something this drastic.”
According to Norris, however, Charlottesville residents were indeed a part of the committee.
“The committee included a lot of citizen representatives in addition to city staff,” he said.  
Hall also noted that she believes more of the changes should occur within neighborhoods, as opposed to downtown. Nevertheless, Hall said she looks forward to any changes that would lead to improved safety.
”I’m for anything that ... increases pedestrian safety because we are a pedestrian-safety neighborhood,” Hall said. “I am all for recommendations that increase pedestrian safety.”