Seven goals from five Cavs slay Spiders

Selenski leads way with two scores; ‘07 team 41-goal total surpassed in 12 games in ‘08

The Virginia field hockey team triumphed 7-1 against Richmond  at the University Hall Turf Field last night, tying its season high for goals scored in a game.
The No. 10 Cavaliers (10-2, 1-0 ACC) also reached another milestone last night: Virginia’s final goal in its 12 game of the season last night was its 42nd so far this season, already surpassing the team’s 2007 total of 41. Twelve games into last season, Virginia had registered just 21 goals.
Freshman midfielder Paige Selenski paved the way against Richmond with two goals and three assists, both game-highs; her two goals give her a team-leading 11 on the season.
Despite her freshman status, Selenski has been playing consistently beyond her years throughout this season; she comes up with big goals when the team needs them most. She showed her talent Wednesday, weaving through defenders as if they were standing still.
“Paige is pretty good,” senior goalkeeper Amy Desjadon said. “If you watch a game, Paige outruns everyone on our team and everyone on the other team. We tease her that if she didn’t have a stick she would be falling over.”
Five other Cavaliers joined Selenski in putting the ball in the cage, two of whom were veteran leaders junior forward Traci Ragukas and senior midfielder Inge Kaars Sijpesteijn, who are tied for second on the team in goals with seven apiece.
The Cavaliers came out of the gates a little sluggish, as if the game was a formality before they take on No. 1 Maryland Saturday; they did not score until the 17:35 mark of the first half; however, the floodgates opened late in the first half and remained that way coming out of halftime, as the Cavaliers poured in six goals in a span of 18:53.
Virginia was able to score several of its goals by way of the short corner, as it out-cornered Richmond 12-3. Virginia coach Michele Madison’s group has taken advantage of these situations all year; the Cavaliers currently rank first in the ACC and 10th in the nation in penalty corners per game.
“We need to convert on [short corners] because it’s the easiest chance we are going to get to put a ball in the back of the net,” Desjadon said.
The Spiders’ only shot on goal of the second half came off a corner. Despite the goal by Richmond junior forward Sarah Blythe-Wood, the Virginia defense played a stellar game. Even though Virginia’s offense is one of the best in the NCAA, its pressing defense deserves just as much credit by putting the offense in a good position to score and make plays.
From the goalkeeper position, Desjadon led the way, playing the first half and the first 15 minutes of the second half. She currently leads the nation in goals against average. Desjadon presently splits time in goal with sophomore goalkeeper Devon Burnley; however, Desjadon looks to prove herself and may get the nod to play the whole game against Maryland. The senior has played almost twice as many minutes as Burnley while allowing one fewer goal.
“We will see how they practice the next few days,” Madison said, adding that Desjadon and Burnley “are neck in neck in terms of what they can do. [Desjadon] is definitely on a high now.”
This confidence booster could serve the Cavaliers well when they play their biggest game of the season thus far against Maryland Saturday at the Turf Field.