U.Va. may alter status of Hereford

Starting next year Hereford may be solely first-year student housing

University administrators are considering designating Hereford College as a housing option solely for first-year students beginning next year. Hereford residents discussed their opinions on the possible change at last night’s Hereford Student Senate meeting.

This discussion arose in light of the University’s ongoing attempt to rebuild the Alderman Road first-year dormitories, University spokesperson Carol Wood explained, noting that the Alderman Road buildings are “coming down more quickly then expected” and the University needs somewhere to house first-year students during the construction process.

Wood emphasized that the University has not made a final decision about Hereford’s future residents yet but is hoping to have a decision by the end of this week.

Hereford College President Nancy Takahashi said if Hereford is designated as first-year student housing only, it will impact Hereford’s upperclass residents, who will need to find alternative housing for next year.

Takahashi added that the possible change is, and should be, a concern to students in the residential college. She also noted that she welcomes students’ input into the decision.

At the Senate meeting held last night, students expressed concern about the University’s neglect in informing students of the possible change. Students reported having no knowledge of the possible change until they tried to renew their rooms for next year, only to find that they had been “displaced.”

“Just imagine that this was happening to you, suddenly having your home abolished out from under you with no warning,” said fourth-year College student Zack Yezek, a Hereford resident, at the meeting. “The way Housing [Division] has acted is frankly dishonorable, taking no time to interview students and listen to their concerns beforehand.”

Third-year Engineering student Esteban Fuentes, a Hereford resident, noted that the change, if it occurs, would not affect him because he is planning to move off-Grounds next year, but that it would impact those students who wish to stay in the residential college.

“Hereford is sort of like a sanctuary for some people,” he said. “Where else are they going to go?”

First-year College student Eric Kim, a Hereford resident, said for him, the change would limit his housing options for next year, and therefore he is personally against the possible change.

“I’m trying to live off Grounds next year but if I can’t find any houses off Grounds, Hereford would be my first choice,” Kim explained, noting that Hereford is his first choice for on-Grounds housing because he likes the available bus transportation and having Runk Dining Hall so close to his dormitory.

First-year College student Charles Joynson, a Hereford resident, on the other hand, said he could see how having only first-year students in Hereford could be beneficial by allowing them to create a strong first-year community.

During the meeting students voiced several ideas for conveying their opinions on the upcoming decision, including forming a group to speak with the Housing Division as well as sending letters to parents describing how the situation was handled.

“What we want to know is if there is anything we, as current Hereford residents, can do to keep Hereford and still satisfy housing needs for next year,” Yezek said. “What could we do to make everyone happy?”