Volleyball falls to Wake Forest, Duke

Virginia’s volleyball team lost both of its matches this weekend in the team’s final road trip of the season.

Visiting Wake Forest (19-12, 10-9 ACC) in a match Friday evening, the Cavaliers (16-15, 8-11 ACC) fell 3-1 (18-25, 25-20, 25-27, 25-19). Virginia was led in Friday’s match by senior outside hitter Beth Shelton, who put up 19 kills while landing a double-double with 13 digs.

The Cavaliers traveled Saturday evening to Durham where they fell 3-0 (24-26, 15-25, 21-25). Two seniors, Shelton and middle blocker Shannon Davis, led the team with nine kills apiece in their final road match.

The Cavaliers play their final match of the regular season Friday at 6 p.m. in Memorial Gym, taking on Virginia Tech for senior night. The Cavaliers fell 3-0 in their previous match against the Hokies, a Sept. 23 duel in Blacksburg, Va.

Friday’s match will likely be the final for Davis, Shelton, and senior Marlow Bruneau, as the ACC does not have a postseason tournament in volleyball and the Cavaliers likely will not get tapped for the NCAA Tournament.

—compiled by Dan Stalcup