Women place 26th at NCAAs

The Virginia men’s cross country team put the final touches on what has been an impressive season for first-year coach Jason Vigilante with a 14th place showing at yesterday’s NCAA Championships in Terre Haute, Ind. Led by sophomore Emil Heineking, who earned his second career All-American honor with his 26th-place finish, the ACC Champion Cavaliers equaled their third-best NCAA performance.

Heineking is the first Cavalier to be named an All-American in back-to-back seasons. The sophomore’s time of 29:42 was the fastest among ACC runners on the 10k course and marked a 61.6-second improvement against his 56th-place finish last season.

Finishing 70th overall in 30:18.4, Virginia’s Ryan Collins was the fifth freshman to cross the line. He was followed for the Cavaliers by sixth-year senior Ryan Foster, who finished 99th overall. Senior Andy Biladeau (123rd), and junior Andrew Jesien (158th) rounded out the scoring for the Cavaliers, who were the highest finishing ACC team in the meet.

On the women’s side, Virginia placed 26th overall. Senior Lauretta Dezubay led the Cavaliers, finishing 87th in the 6k race overall to close out her collegiate cross country career. Freshman Morgane Gay crossed in 108th, while junior Stephanie Garcia, a tableau editor for The Cavalier Daily, finished 133rd.

Oregon successfully defended its national title on the men’s side, while Washington claimed the women’s team crown.

—compiled by Cayce Troxel