Cavs easily top Tribe to open season

The Virginia men’s tennis team started its season on the right foot last night, topping No. 64 William & Mary 7-0 at the McCormick-Nagelsen Tennis Center in Williamsburg. The victory extended the Cavaliers’ regular-season winning streak to 35 straight matches and also marked the third consecutive year the squad opened its spring season with a shutout of the Tribe.

The Cavaliers stymied any William & Mary upset hopes early, sweeping the doubles point. At the No. 1 doubles spot, junior Houston Barrick and sophomore Sanam Singh easily cruised past the Tribe pair of junior Keziel Juneau and sophomore Sebestien Vidal 8-2, while the Cavalier duo of senior Dominic Inglot and sophomore Michael Shabaz managed to squeak out a 9-8 win in the No. 2 position. Junior Lee Singer paired with freshman newcomer Drew Courtney to earn a win at the No. 3 spot for Virginia.

On the singles side, the Cavaliers were just as impressive, winning all six of their matches while failing to drop a single set in five of those six contests. Inglot led Virginia with a hard-fought 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 win against Juneau in the No. 1 spot, while Shabaz, ranked No. 11 in the ITA singles’ polls, easily dispatched senior Marwan Ramadan 6-3, 6-1 to earn a victory at the No. 2 position. Singh (No. 3), Barrick (No. 4), Singer (No. 5) and Courtney (No. 6) also added individual victories in the Cavaliers’ win.

Virginia opens its home season this weekend with matches against No. 15 Illinois Friday and No. 30 Notre Dame Sunday at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.

—compiled by Cayce Troxel