Longtime admissions dean passes away at 67

John Blackburn, admissions dean, fondly remembered by many in U.Va. community

University Admissions Dean John Blackburn succumbed to his battle against cancer Tuesday night at his home in Charlottesville, surrounded by family. He was 67.

Blackburn, known to many close friends and associates as “Jack,” began working at the University in 1979 and served as admissions dean from 1985 to 2009. Previously, he had planned to retire in June.

According to an e-mail sent by University President John T. Casteen, III to faculty and administrators, Blackburn, a recipient of the Thomas Jefferson Award, the University’s highest honor, helped make each class at the University as talented and diverse as possible.
“He built each class with careful attention to the talents of students from every conceivable background — students whose common qualities have been uncommon intelligence, personal integrity, and ambition,” Casteen wrote. “Jefferson imagined our University as an attraction for students from everywhere, and he admired talent and ambition above any kind of entitlement or privilege. Jack made the University what Jefferson intended it to be.”

Blackburn was at the helm of University admissions during a period when the school was attempting to diversify its student body and raise its national academic profile. Under his watch, the number of female and minority students grew and the University’s financial aid program came to include AccessUVA.

Assistant Admissions Dean Greg Roberts said Blackburn went above and beyond the call of duty while serving the University as its admissions dean.

“No matter how busy he was, he would come out and meet with families — he traveled extensively to meet with students,” Roberts said. “He really loved his job, and he loved the people that he met in his field ... He was a trailblazer and legend, and I think you would be hard-pressed to find four or five deans of admission in his field that are as well-respected by their peers.”

Blackburn also will be missed by many on a personal level. Gordon Burris, senior assistant to Casteen and a past assistant admissions dean, said he fondly remembers how he and Blackburn became close friends almost three decades ago after Blackburn was hired by the University. Burris said he had known Blackburn since Blackburn’s days as admissions dean at Mary Baldwin women’s college.

“We trained together for the Charlottesville 10-miler, every Saturday from January until April, when the race was held,” Burris said. “And we traveled together, occasionally taking short trips with our families. We’d go to Maine in the summertime — often not the same place, of course, but ... he absolutely loved Maine.”

Burris added that Blackburn possessed an uncommon interest in the lives of both current students and potential applicants, taking the time to learn about and talk with those around him.

“When history is written, you’ll have probably known one of the greatest ambassadors to walk the Grounds of this University,” Burris said. “The world was his stage ... and I’ll always remember him as one of the nicest, most sincere human beings.”

College Associate Dean Gordon Stewart similarly noted in an e-mail to Garrett Hall staff members that Blackburn was a loyal and dedicated University employee with an exceptional attitude.

“The University of Virginia owes so much to this gentle, kind man with the engaging manner and radiant smile,” Stewart noted. “For nearly thirty years he committed all of his energies to making the University a better place. All of us who interacted with him, and we number in the thousands, will remember him with fondness, respect, and appreciation.”

Blackburn’s legacy will live on in the form of a recently unveiled scholarship fund for low-income students. The fund currently totals more than $1.5 million. The 1963 Western Maryland College graduate and former U.S. Army family notifier is survived by his family, including his wife, sister, children and grandchildren. Memorial services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Charlottesville. There will be a reception afterwards in Alumni Hall.