UVaCollab problem impacts students, professors

Students report slow log-in times, limited access; ITC staff aware of the issue, now working on patch solution

University community members across Grounds have recently experienced a spike in problems with UVaCollab, which is being phased in as a replacement for Toolkit.

Second-year College student Ernest Kushevski said he has seen an array of problems with the system since returning from Winter Break.

“For me, it’s been taking a little longer to log in,” he said. He described the problems experienced as a “sort of a lag with NetBadge,” referring to the standardized University log-in system.

Though Kushevski said the problems have been minor and inconsistent, he also said they have affected some of his classes.

“One of my professors tried to access UVaCollab during class, but he couldn’t log in,” he said.

First-year College student Kamille Seward encountered similar issues. She said she has been able to log in consistently but has not always been able to view materials or postings for each class.

“I had a claim due for my ENWR class and I couldn’t access my classes on UVaCollab,” Seward said, adding that her instructor has been forced to use mass e-mails instead of UVaCollab to distribute materials for the class.

Other students, however, said their use of UVaCollab has not been affected. Second-year College student Rebecca McGraw, for example, said she had yet to experience a problem.

Mike McPherson, University associate vice president and deputy chief information officer, meanwhile, said the Information Technology and Communication staff is “acutely aware of the problem” and is attempting to respond as quickly as possible. He said the UVaCollab issues were affecting “stability and performance” throughout the entire system and noted ITC staff members believe they have found the problem and are currently testing a software patch for the system to make it sure it will both solve the problems and avoid causing any additional issues before distributing it.

The current problems resulted from actions by individual users that “triggered a malformed communication with the database,” McPherson said. The subsequent high load on the server, he explained, caused the server to shut down.

McPherson said he hopes to see the patch released in the next few days and, in the meantime, McPherson recommended students experiencing UVaCollab difficulties save their work often.