Virginia wrestling dominates Campbell

The Virginia wrestling team wasted no time recovering from a tough loss against North Carolina in a decisive 32-9 victory against Campbell.

The afternoon belonged the Cavaliers (8-8), as the wrestlers dominated almost every weight class. The senior trio of Peter Ferrara (149 pounds), Mike Sewell (165) and Rocco Caponi (184) showed their leadership as the three all recorded victories that helped the Cavaliers get back toward a winning team record. Sophomore Chris Henrich (174) and junior Brent Jones (197) joined Ferrara and Sewell in notching major decisions.

The Cavaliers did not stop there. The efforts of freshman Matt Bonson (133) and junior Calvin Cardillo (285) helped Virginia maintain control over the match. Bonson posted a technical fall, and Cardillo shut out his opponent 4-0. Freshman Jedd Moore (157) also contributed to the victory by defeating his opponent 8-2.

Campbell’s only wins came in the 125- and 141-pound weight classes. Junior C.J. Gittens won 8-3, and senior Kelin Bidelsbach won by forfeit as the usual 141-pound Cavalier wrestler was injured.

The Cavaliers must now turn their sights to next weekend, when they will face two more quality opponents in the Richmond area. Virginia travels to Hopewell High School to face George Mason Friday, then will compete against Virginia Tech in the Rumble on the River at Deep Run High School Saturday afternoon.

—compiled by Matt Diton