Around the ACC

Football
Three of the top 11 recruiting classes in the nation were fielded by ACC teams during signing day a week ago. Florida State was the big winner with the No. 6 recruiting class in the country, which included two five-star players according to ratings from Rivals.com: defensive tackle Jacobbi McDaniel of Greenville, Fla. and defensive back Greg Reid of Valdosta, Ga. North Carolina finished close behind with the No. 8 recruiting class, getting a commitment from five-star defensive end Donte Moss of Jacksonville, NC. Miami came in at No. 11 after also signing one five-star recruit, Ray Ray Armstrong of Sanford, Fla. The Hurricanes are still waiting on running back Bryce Brown, the No. 1 recruit in the nation who made a soft verbal commitment to Miami last year but did not make a move on signing day. Bryce has also received offers from USC, LSU and Missouri, among other schools.

Men’s basketball
No. 1 UNC travels to No. 2 Duke tonight for a 9 p.m. tip-off on ESPN. Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told reporters Monday that senior Greg Paulus will start at point guard in place of sophomore Nolan Smith. Paulus made his second start Saturday against Miami after Smith had no points and four turnovers in a 27-point loss to Clemson last week. He shot 6-of-15 for 18 points in 40 minutes in a 78-75 overtime victory; Smith played just seven minutes and had no points or assists.

Women’s basketball
No. 4 North Carolina ousted No. 2 Duke in Chapel Hill 75-60 Monday, handing Duke its third loss of the season. The Tar Heels trailed by two at halftime before senior forward Rashanda McCants dropped 19 of her 22 points in the second half.

Lacrosse
National preseason rankings for both men’s and women’s teams came out this past week, with the ACC placing the same four programs as it did last year in the top 10 for both divisions. The men’s side has Virginia at No. 1, Maryland at No. 3, Duke at No. 6 and North Carolina at No. 8. The Blue Devils, meanwhile, top the women’s rankings at No. 3, and they are closely followed by Virginia at No. 4, Maryland at No. 6 and North Carolina at No. 9. The season begins this weekend for both men’s and women’s teams.