Softball team continues to roll, allows four runs in four games

The Virginia softball team continued its winning streak this weekend, sweeping doubleheaders against Rider and Lafayette.

The Cavaliers (15-5) won their Saturday games against Rider 15-3 and 6-0, respectively. Senior Karla Wilburn picked up the win in game one, giving up two earned runs and striking out seven. Freshman Stephanie Coates earned the victory in the second game, striking out two in five innings.

Offensively, seniors Carly Winger and Sarah Tacke led Virginia, as both went three for four in the first game, with Winger batting in five runs. In the second game, senior Casey Steffan hit her first home run this season, driving in three runs in the fourth inning.

Against Lafayette Sunday, the Cavalier offense also shined, powering the team to 13-1 and 8-0 victories. In the first game, junior Nicole Koren and Winger both hit home runs, helping Wilburn — who struck out six and did not walk a single batter — earn her second victory of the weekend. In the second game, Tacke and junior Abby Snyder each hit home runs, while sophomore Lauren McCaskey went 3-for-3 from the plate. Coates also notched her second victory of the weekend, giving up only two hits and striking out two.

Looking to continue its recent success, Virginia will play George Washington Tuesday in a doubleheader at home.

—compiled by William Hrachovina