Graduating duo hopes to leave lasting impression on program

Weymouth, McCulloch anchor Cavalier midfield; tandem aims to return Virginia to title game

Blair Weymouth and Ashley McCulloch.

Although these names may not be as familiar to Virginia lacrosse fans as Shamel Bratton and Danny Glading, the two deserve just as much recognition for their accomplishments. The All-American senior midfielders have not only led the Virginia women’s lacrosse team during their four years, but the two have etched their names in the record books while doing so. Arguably one of the best lacrosse duos ever to play at Virginia, Weymouth and McCulloch have led the Cavaliers to a 57-21 record during their time at Virginia, including a second-place finish in the 2007 NCAA Tournament.

“Not only are they great lacrosse players, they are really solid kids,” Virginia coach Julie Myers said. “They work hard when nobody is looking and they bring a great level of intensity and competitiveness to the team.”

A native of New Hampshire where she was a three-time high school All-American at The Holderness School, Weymouth has started in 53 of 55 games as a Cavalier and has earned All-American honors three times. If she is named an All-American after the 2009 season, she will become only the second Cavalier ever to have achieved the honor all four years of her career, the other being Amy Appelt. Weymouth boasts a multi-faceted game; she is currently ranked in the top-five all-time at Virginia in goals (182), assists (72) and points (254) — only the third Virginia player to be in the top-five in all three categories. She regards her time at Virginia as a “fun experience”, enjoying the opportunity to play with so many talented teammates in one of the toughest conferences in the country.

“It has just been a great four years,” Weymouth said. “I have enjoyed working with all of the different people who have come through here.”

This includes McCulloch. Their partnership has been a deadly one for opponents during the past four years, and together, they have helped push each other.

“The combination of Blair’s speed and athleticism with Ashley’s playmaking and field-sense makes them really hard to stop,” Myers said.
McCulloch has picked apart defenses throughout her career, dishing out 99 assists in 69 games, 56 of which she started  — good for fourth all-time at Virginia. She also is arguably one of the team’s most valuable players, as she is charged with playing the role of the squad’s “quarterback,” Myers said.

“Playing with her has always been fun because she is such a smart player and has the skill to feed in balls that most other players aren’t necessarily going to get in to their attackers,” Weymouth said.

The duo has earned many individual accolades throughout their careers, but they have yet to achieve the ultimate team goal of a national championship. The Cavaliers came close in 2007, when they were runners-up to Northwestern. Virginia used a 10-0 run in the NCAA semifinals against Duke to complete the largest comeback ever in NCAA Championship history and to advance to the title game.

“It has been a great four years,” McCulloch said. “Hopefully, we will finish the season out strong and get back to that national championship game.”

Weymouth and McCulloch still have plenty of time to make a run at a national championship, but it is already clear that they will finish as two of the most decorated Cavalier players of all time — regardless of the season’s outcome.

“If I had to pick a team of attackers out of all of the players that have ever played, Blair and Ashley would be on that list,” Myers said.