Not so lax

When the Virginia women’s lacrosse team saw Northwestern on its schedule at the beginning of the season, the players circled the game and saw it as an opportunity to defeat the four-time defending national champs in a game that could be a stepping stone on the way to a fourth conference title. During the past four years, the Cavaliers have had several run-ins with the Wildcats, defeating them in the quarterfinals for the 2004 national championship and losing in the 2005 and 2007 championship games. Northwestern, on the other hand, has been downright dominant this season, posting the nation’s top offense while still fielding a suffocating defense.

As it came time for the game Sunday, the mood was very different for the Cavaliers; they had gone from being ranked No. 4 in the country with high hopes of going undefeated to losing five games and struggling to make the NCAA Tournament. A win against the Wildcats would begin to repair a disappointing season and hopefully lift the Cavaliers as they entered the postseason. The game Sunday marked the final regular season home game for Virginia’s eight seniors, including Blair Weymouth and Ashley McCulloch, two of the best to play at Virginia. I was hopeful as the game started because I knew that the Cavaliers have had the talent all season to hang with anybody in the country — they just needed to put it together for a full 60 minutes.

In typical senior day fashion, Virginia coach Julie Myers started all of her seniors. The Cavaliers came out fired up — maybe too fired up — and were quickly taken aback as the Wildcats rapidly scored two goals in the first four minutes to snag a 2-0 lead. At this point, it looked like the Cavaliers had not improved at all throughout the season and would be handily beaten just like every other Northwestern opponent. Thankfully, Kaitlin Duff took the weight off everyone’s shoulders, scoring the first goal for Virginia, proving that the Cavaliers would not just lie down and give the game away.

The Cavaliers became extremely persistent on offense, possessing the ball for most of the first half. Their patience was rewarded with a four-goal spurt by Blair Weymouth and Whittaker Hagerman, each of whom scored twice. I was in awe after the Cavaliers took a 6-3 lead, and I even began to consider the fact that Virginia may actually have a chance to win the game. But I knew Northwestern was bound to make a run, and it was up to the Cavaliers to outlast it. At that point, I was brought back down to earth as the Wildcats finished out the first half with four straight goals of their own to take a 7-6 lead.

During this weekend’s game, the Virginia defense was charged with its toughest task of the season, shutting down Northwestern’s stars: Hannah Nielsen, Danielle Spencer and Hilary Bowen. Cavalier sophomore defender Liz Downs was given the assignment of locking down Nielsen, the 2008 Tewaaraton Trophy winner who currently leads the country in points. Nielsen’s first of two goals proved to be extremely crucial for the Wildcats, as it came with four seconds left in the first half to give them the lead.

Despite being down at halftime, the Cavaliers were hanging with a team that was supposed to beat them easily. If it were not for a few miscues, Virginia would have been winning the game. The attack already had managed to score as many goals as the Wildcats typically allow in an entire game.

As the second half began, the Cavaliers matched their intensity from the first half. Virginia and Northwestern went on to trade goals for the first eight minutes, with neither team pulling away. I was still confident that the Cavaliers could get the job done and complete the upset. Duff took it upon herself to keep Virginia in the game, scoring two goals in four minutes to knot the game at 10-10 with eight and a half minutes left.

As the game began to wind down, the Wildcats went into a stall offense, which proved successful as Nielsen scored with a minute and a half left in the game. Although I knew it was highly unlikely the Cavaliers would tie the game at that point, they apparently thought otherwise.

Despite not winning the ensuing draw, the defense that had been scrappy all season came up with a turnover, giving Virginia one last opportunity to tie the game. As she had done all day, Duff went to goal and was fouled, giving her a chance at a free-position shot with 8.5 seconds left in the game. With Duff in position ready to take the shot, though, she false-started, consequently giving the ball to Northwestern and sealing the victory for the Wildcats.

With the loss, the Cavaliers most likely still have some work to do to ensure themselves a spot in the NCAA Tournament. But the Cavaliers should hold their heads high, knowing that they took the No. 1 team in the country right down to the wire, which no other team did all season. They showed great resolve throughout the game, never giving up and fighting until the very end.

Virginia is coming on strong at the end of the season headed into the ACC Tournament beginning Thursday. After watching the Cavaliers all season — culminating with the game against Northwestern Sunday — I would not want to face the Cavaliers in the postseason.