Putting an age on the morning-after pill

The controversy surrounding the age restriction about over-the-counter Plan B continues

Sometimes a condom breaks, slips off or is not used at all, and the chances of an unwanted pregnancy significantly increase. About three years ago, a woman would have had to go to a doctor to obtain a prescription for emergency contraception if she wanted to reduce this risk. In 2006, however, the Food and Drug Administration allowed women older than 18 years of age to obtain Plan B over-the-counter. More recently, a federal court judge ordered that women ages 17 and older be able to get the pills without a prescription, reopening the discussion about its age restriction and sparking debate among student groups on Grounds.

Plan B, also known as the morning-after pill, is an FDA-approved brand of hormone pills specifically used for emergency contraception, also known as EC. Planned Parenthood Community Health Educator Katie Burke said Plan B only contains progestin, whereas Preven, the other FDA-approved EC product contains both estrogen and progestin, hormones which are used in birth control pills. Plan B can effectively reduce the chance of pregnancy by 75 to 89 percent if taken within 120 hours after unprotected intercourse.

According to a March 23 Associated Press article, the 2006 ruling was partially in response to a 2001 petition from The American Association of Reproductive Health and 65 other professional organizations, as well as a 2003 petition from Barr Pharmaceuticals, the company that makes Plan B. The organizations petitioned against all age restrictions to ensure the drug’s access to everyone. Although the FDA’s Advisory Board approved marketing the drug without an age restriction with a 23 to 4 vote, its formal response denied the petition in 2006, making it available only to adult women older than 18.

In March, though, U.S. District Judge Edward Korman lowered Plan B’s age restriction to 17 years, accusing the FDA of catering to politics instead of science and “repeatedly and unreasonably” delaying the approval process. He overturned the denial of the The American Association of Reproductive Health’s petition, which in turn forced the FDA to reevaluate the age restriction, the AP reported.

On Grounds, activist groups have expressed various reactions to the ruling.

The decision was a “political issue when it’s just about the science,” said Elyse Smith, third-year College student and president of Hoos for Life. “My reaction is one of concern because this is a serious, serious drug, and to give it to girls over the counter without any parental notification is a very dangerous proposition.”

Fourth-year College student Amber Banks, president of Vox: Voices of Planned Parenthood, however, applauded the decision, noting that the ruling makes it easier for women to obtain the drug in the time frame necessary for it to be effective.

“It’s really important that people have access to [EC] because ... it can prevent pregnancy,” Banks said. “The easier the access [to care] is the better [chance] people have of not getting pregnant.”

Smith, though, said she worried about the pill’s side effects and the potential lack of interaction between a person and a doctor. Burke said a woman can experience nausea and may vomit, although some studies have shown that less than 20 percent of women actually do. The risk of vomiting is much lower with progestin-only forms like Plan B, she said. The hormone may also cause irregular menstrual cycles and has similar risks associated with regular birth control pills, such as blood clotting, Burke said.

“You still have to get oral contraceptives from a doctor because it’s hormonal therapy,” Smith said. “It’s an important complication with the doctor that just doesn’t happen over-the-counter.”

She said she is also skeptical of minors being able to obtain the drug over-the-counter, because parents may know their child’s medical history better than the minor would. Similarly, she said she does not believe minors are able to fully comprehend the drug’s effects and thus cannot make an informed decision about whether to take it.

“Minors just can’t make the same decisions, they’re not as mature ... we just need guidance [at that age],” Smith said. “That’s where parental rights come in. They have the right to protect and care for their children.”

Banks noted, however, that some minors may find it difficult to talk to their parents about Plan B and going to a doctor to receive a prescription could delay the process of obtaining the drug, hindering its effects.

“Going to the doctors and getting a prescription can take quite awhile,” she said. “With a medication that works better the sooner you take it, that age limit is not really a good obstacle for them to have.”

The FDA is now set to review Korman’s decision.