BOV speeds up multi-year dorm demolition plan

To accelerate renovations to Alderman Road residence halls and help save the University money amid the recession, the Board of Visitors approved a modified dorm demolition plan at its June meeting.\nThe University currently is engaged in a multi-year $65 to $78 million dorm revision project designed to offer students with more modern amenities and living quarters compared to existing structures near Alderman Road. Originally only Balz and Dobie houses were slated for demolition this summer, but because of a reduction in construction prices, Watson house also was added at the June meeting. University spokesperson Carol Wood said the demolition of Dobie house began July 1, and all three buildings were projected for removal by August 15.\nThe three old residence houses were viewed to require major structural repairs and additional renovations to bring them into line with current college student housing standards at the University and peer institutions, Wood noted. For example, she said, the buildings lacked controllable heating and air conditioning.\nThe demolition of the three old dormitories makes way for two six-story dormitories and a commons building. The new residences will be similar in style to Kellogg House, which opened to students last year. Each residence hall will house 442 residents and resident advisors, and will have amenities including public common spaces, seminar rooms, and laundry and vending spaces.\nDesigns call for each dormitory floor to be hall-style, similar to the McCormick Road dormitories. Each floor will have two halls with 10 to 12 double rooms in each hall. Additionally, every floor will have a common room, quiet study room and common bathroom.\nThe commons building will feature an assembly space large enough to accommodate at least 250 students. University architect David Neuman said in February he expects each building to receive at least a basic certification from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Building Rating System.\nAll three buildings are expected to be available for use by May 2011.\nThe decreased construction costs also spurred the Board of Visitors to accelerate the demolition of Webb and Maupin houses by a year, from 2012 to 2011. The buildings designed to replace Webb and Maupin will be ready for use by May 2013.