Diamonds in the rough

Knowing what to look for at the dining hall is key to a satisfying meal

Do you often find yourself at a dining hall with nothing to eat? Too many times have I gone to a dining hall, surrounded by food, only to find nothing that catches my fancy. I find that the dining hall food simply lacks creativity, and students are simply bored with the food - not disgusted. Some of the items in the dining hall, if they were to stand alone, would have great value, such as the fresh vegetables (however, with my meals I notice far too often I am served canned vegetables). For example, whenever I find time to get up for breakfast it seems like it is the same meal regurgitated daily, and Friday's dinner seems like a collaboration of the meals throughout the week. For me it seems as though swiping my meal card at times is a waste of money, and in efforts to be cost-effective I have discovered the art of getting creative with my dining hall ventures. Fear not my fellow Wahoos, I have compiled a few, break-in-case-of-emergency recipes that will aid you in your troubles.

Taco Salad

This vibrant salad is certain to satisfy the dining hall blues. First, go to the salad bar and pick out the Romaine Lettuce. After, make your way to the Taco Bar, and top your salad with salsa, corn-bean mixture (if they have it), cheese, taco meat, and crushed tortilla chips. If you like a salsa ranch mix, which is sometimes offered with Taco salad, simply add some Ranch to your salad.

Easy Mac

Get some noodles from the pasta bar, preferably the ziti, then make your way over to the taco bar. When you arrive at the taco bar, add cheese sauce and extra shredded cheese, to make your macaroni and cheese delight!

Chicken Sandwich

If the dining hall is offering chicken - even if it is on the bone, the meat can simply be removed - make sure to grab that and a roll of your choice. You can then go over to the salad bar and top it with the toppings and dressings of your choice.

Quick Honey Mustard

For those who are dissatisfied with the dining halls condiments and would like to have a better honey mustard sauce for their chicken nuggets, or for those who simply want honey mustard when it is not being offered, make sure to try this. Add 1 part mustard, with 1 part honey, and 1/8 part red wine vinegar from the salad bar. Make sure you mix well to incorporate all of the ingredients. If you are creative enough, you could figure out how to use these materials to make your own Hollis sandwich.

Banana Split Sunday

Why wait for the special sundae nights? If you find yourself bored with the day's choice of dessert, this is sure to make you the envy of all your friends. You simply grab a banana and a bowl, and cut the banana either as a split or into small pieces. Next, top with the frozen yogurt/custard/ice milk of your choice, and top with the condiments from the waffle line, especially if they have Nutella.

These are a only a few of the ideas that I can share with the University. However, the trick to maximizing your dining plan is simply getting creative. If the dining hall has nothing to offer, make sure to use creativity to make your meal swipe worthwhile. This requires you to know the dining hall you frequent well. For instance, if you are in Newcomb, and you know that the sandwich bar does not offer spreads, make sure you take advantage of the salad bar dressings. If you are in Runk and you know there is a microwave available, what is to stop you from simply taking that apple pie they offer, popping it in for a few seconds, and topping your apple pie with ice cream - viola, apple pie a la mode! If you find yourself in O-Hill, try experimenting with the Nuttella in different ways, on ice cream, waffles, or with any deserts. If you find yourself bored with your cereal in the morning, then cut up some fruit to spice it up. If you are in a rush, grab a quick salad, and make sure to top it with some beans to keep you satiated longer. The point is, make sure you are getting the value after every time you swipe your card, and let value be your definition. Remember, enjoying your dining hall experience is simply a matter of creativity.

Ashley Ford is a Viewpoint writer for The Cavalier Daily.