FYJC chair recommends altering FYJC term length

Requested change would be included in UJC constitution if adopted; some committee members express reservations about extending terms

University Judiciary Committee members last night reviewed a proposed amendment that would define term length for the First Year Judiciary Committee and add this new definition to the committee's constitution and bylaws.

The amendment, presented by outgoing FYJC Chair Halley Epstein, also clarifies who will adjudicate first-year trials during the lame-duck session, which is the period from August, when FYJC members have officially entered their second-year, to October, when the new FYJC is elected.

Currently, the FYJC's term limits are not defined in UJC's constitution or by-laws. First-year cases that arise during the three-month lame duck period are usually not tried until October.

The new amendment proposes that the outgoing FYJC would adjudicate any cases that arise before the new FYJC is selected, thus extending the term of FYJC members into October of their second year.

In her letter, Epstein, who was absent from last night's meeting, noted that this new process would be more efficient than putting cases on hold for possibly a month because students "will not benefit from the peer aspect of FYJC and would be better served with a timely trial."

In addition, even though the students would technically be second-year students, their "first-year living experiences are fresh in their minds," Epstein stated.

The amendment also proposed a second option, under which the current practices would continue and the committee would hold cases until the new FYJC is chosen. This practice, though, would be officially added to UJC's constitution and bylaws.

Vice Chair for Trials Marnie Coons said she believes "nobody will really desire" the outgoing FYJC to hear cases because "people no longer directly involved to the first-year situation will be hearing the cases." She added that she believes that committee members will prefer the current system.

UJC Chair Michael Chapman said he believes the committee will make the right decision about Epstein's letter.

"The issues that they raised are substantive," Chapman said. "I trust the UJC will make the decision that needs to be made."

Chapman said the amendment will be discussed and voted upon next week during UJC's general body meeting.