Darden student dies from lung complications

Fatal blood clot claims life of Justin Key; friends, relatives remember him for his cheerful manner, religious devotion

First-year Darden student Justin Key died Dec. 14 from a blood clot to the lungs. A memorial service will be held Thursday at 6 p.m. in Abbott Auditorium.

The blood clot that caused Key's death came after several weeks of illness with H1N1, said Christy Bell, assistant director of general medicine at Student Health and Key's physician.

"Recent research has shown a higher than expected number of cases of lung blood clots in those hospitalized with swine flu," she said, adding that researchers are looking into whether blood clots could potentially explain sudden deaths in other young healthy people ill with H1N1.

Key was 26 when he died in his apartment, said his father, Brian Key, who remembered his son as a passionate and friendly person. "He loved so many things," his father said, "but one of the main things he loved was travel." Key spent last summer in South and Central America and spent eight months traveling across Europe two years prior. By the time he started at Darden, Key had visited 40 countries.

Justin Key was best known for the time he spent with people, his father said, noting that he met with people for coffee or drinks nearly everyday.

"He was just an energetic individual who made an effort to contribute positively to other people's lives," second-year Darden student Parker Garrett said.

First-year Darden student Jenn Crutchfield described him as outgoing and fun, as well as encouraging.

"He always had a ready smile and he was one of the more cheerful [and] positive people that I knew," she said.

His friends and family also spoke of his commitment to his religion.

"He was a Christian and his faith meant a whole to him," Key's father said. "That was a huge priority of his, living out his faith."

Garrett, who knew Key through his involvement in the Darden Christian Fellowship, said Key was unique for "his absolute love of God and what he was doing in his life [with regards to] his Christian faith." Key expressed his religious devotion in what he said and wrote, Garrett said. He described Key as "a very considerate individual who really understood how blessed he was."

Crossroads Bible Church Youth Pastor Stephen Janho recalled Key's involvement at his church in Bellevue, Washington. Key led the Young Men's Project at his church, working to create mentoring relationships between young men at the church and local business leaders, Janho said. Key also spent summers working with youth in church programs.

"He was just interested in caring for people and serving as an older mentor in their [lives]," Janho said. "Here's a young guy who was bright, sharp and I think had the whole world ahead of him"