Cavs finish 15th; Henrich takes third, All-American

The Virginia wrestling team wrapped up its season Saturday with a 15th-place finish at the NCAA wrestling championships in Omaha, Neb.. It was the Cavaliers' best finish since 1957 when the team placed 10th. The team score of 34 also was a school record for points scored at the NCAA Championships.

A record eight grapplers competed, led by All-American junior Chris Henrich, who finished third overall in the 174-pound division. Seeded third, he made it to the semifinal round, during which he was defeated 10-9 by second seed Jay Borschel of Iowa. Henrich won the wrestleback to get to the third-place final match, where his major decision clinched only the fourth third-place finish by any Cavalier at the NCAAs. Henrich's finish earned him All-American honors for the second straight year, a first for any Cavalier.

Senior Brent Jones, competing in the final tournament of his career, struggled in the first round against fifth-seed Trevor Brandvold of Wisconsin, who pinned Jones in three minutes, 19 seconds. During the wrestleback rounds, Jones had two pins and a major decision, however, before losing 4-2 to No. 8 seed Sonny Yohn of Minnesota. Jones' two pins earned him the 2010 Gorrarian Trophy, which is given to the wrestler that compiled the most pins within the least amount of time. It was the second time a Cavalier won the award, the first being Scott Moore in 2004.

Along with the wins by Henrich and Jones, the Cavaliers finished with a program-record 15 individual victories and earned the highest finish by any ACC school.

-compiled by Willy Hrachovina