Team splits twin series

The Virginia softball team split its four games at the Cavalier Invitational this past weekend, twice defeating George Washington, while dropping both games to Notre Dame.

Virginia opened tournament play Friday with a 9-1 win against the Colonials. The Cavaliers roughed up the George Washington pitching staff for 12 hits, including multi-hit performances from shortstop Clara Kendall and third baseman Abby Snyder. Freshman pitcher Melanie Mitchell recorded the win with four innings of one-run, three-hit ball.

Later that afternoon, the Virginia squad suffered a lopsided 11-3 loss to Notre Dame(8-4) and were outhit by the Fighting Irish 11-3. Notre Dame's ace pitcher Jody Valdivia handled the Cavaliers for the win, giving up three runs through five innings. Mitchell could not continue her strong performance from the previous game and was pulled after surrendering four runs during the first inning. Two solo home runs by senior Nicole Koren produced most of the Cavaliers' scoring.

The Cavaliers began action Saturday with a disappointing 9-0 loss to Notre Dame. Valdivia again stifled the Cavalier bats, as she shut down the team for seven innings, while Mitchell suffered the loss after allowing nine runs during seven frames. Notre Dame ultimately swept through the tournament, extending its winning streak on the season to seven games.

Virginia concluded the tournament with a 6-0 victory against George Washington. Koren showed herself to be just as potent on the mound as she had been at the plate during the tournament, pitching seven shutout innings. Freshman Kristen Hawkins highlighted the Cavaliers' offensive showing with a three-run homer during the seventh inning.

The team next will face Hampton (3-7) Wednesday for a doubleheader on the road. Hampton enters the contest after dropping three of four at the Aggie Tournament in Greensboro, N.C.

-compiled by Ashley Robertson