Letter from the Editor

September brings with it a whole host of fall anticipations and previews in areas across the arts and entertainment spectrum - movies, television shows, fashion, books and more. The speculation is high: What will be this season's greatest hits? Will new seasons of Vampire Diaries, Glee or Grey's Anatomy be hits or flops? What about the latest pilots, like CW's Nikita, about a young woman forced to become an assassin for a secret branch of the government, or Hawaii Five-O, CBS's latest crime drama and a reboot of a show of the same name which aired during the 1970s? How about hotly anticipated films like the first part of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Lindsay Lohan's comeback in this weekend's flick Machete or films made for the Academy Awards like Conviction, starring two-time Oscar winner Hillary Swank? In books, Suzanne Collins' Mockingjay started off the fall season, while National Book Award-winner Jonathan Franzen's Freedom has already caused a stir in the literary world.

There's plenty to watch out for on the national scene. But don't forget local favorites in Charlottesville. This year's Symphony Under the Stars, a University tradition, will take place Sept. 11, and the University Programs Council kicked off the school year with a great variety of events, from the B.o.B concert to the annual Tom DeLuca hypnotist show.

Also on the horizon is the concert lineup for the fall, which is looking pretty loaded. Major music events will kick off with Lady Gaga at John Paul Jones Sept. 8, and stay strong with high-quality acts like The Black Keys Sept. 9,