Payne gains team

After quitting last fall, senior returns to squad, embraces second chance

During Saturday's commanding victory against Richmond, the Virginia sideline could barely contain its excitement as running back Keith Payne rumbled through countless Spider defenders. Payne's hard-nosed style of running not only yielded a career-high 114 yards for the senior but also glowing smiles and bear hugs from his fellow Cavaliers. It is difficult to imagine that a year ago, Payne turned his back on those same teammates and created a seemingly insurmountable rift between himself and the program.

At the start of the 2009 season, when former coach Al Groh was still at the helm and offense was a foreign concept in Charlottesville, Payne decided that he was finished with football. His decision to clean out his locker came just a day prior to the season-opener against William & Mary and cost him trust and respect from many of his teammates.

Three years earlier, the 6-foot-3, 255-pound Northern Virginia-native came out of high school as a highly touted running back. Payne rushed for 2,059 yards and 26 touchdowns during his senior season to lead Oakton to its first-ever state title in 2005.

Payne also contributed on the defensive side of the ball during Oakton's title run. During the state championship game, he played linebacker to help limit 2009 NFL Rookie of the Year Percy Harvin to only 49 yards of offense.

Unfortunately for the Cavaliers, the hype had never really translated into meaningful production in college.

After redshirting in 2006, Payne played in 10 games and rushed for only 219 yards on the ground during the 2007 campaign. After suffering a broken hand against Duke in early 2008, Payne saw significantly less playing time.

Plagued by injuries and academic struggles, Payne's frustration reached boiling point following a disappointing training camp last fall. He abandoned the Cavaliers' ship only to return this spring with the arrival of new coach Mike London.

Since then, London said the big back has been working effortlessly to rebuild relationships with his teammates in addition to improving both on the field and in the classroom.

"I think guys like [Payne] have embraced the fact that whether or not the schemes have changed or the philosophy or whatever it is, they have a new lease on life and they have a chance," London said. "You wipe the slate clean, and whatever you did in the past, that was then. This is now."

Payne certainly looked ready to write a new chapter in his tumultuous career during this season's home-opener. Apart from doubling his career total of rushing touchdowns, Payne finally seemed to regain the respect of those he once left behind.

"It was truly special to watch," senior quarterback Marc Verica said. "I was just standing back there kind of watching him and really enjoying it all just to see the line get that movement, and Keith the way he was. It was really fun."

The "House of Payne" - as ESPN commentators referred to him during Saturday's broadcast - was reluctant to take all of the credit for his inspired performance, however, perhaps signifying his new team-first attitude.

"I just remember the offensive line pushing me on," Payne said.

Senior wide receiver Dontrelle Inman confirmed the feelings are mutual, and the team is now ready to get onboard the Payne train.

"He's a jokester, but when it's time to get serious, he gets serious," Inman said. "You know when he gets serious, we can count on him"