Teams manage top-10 finishes

The No. 20 Virginia men's golf team opened its season in impressive fashion, finishing 10th at the Ping-Golfweek Fall Preview. Junior Ben Kohles led the Cavaliers with a sixth-place finish, notching his 10th top-10 finish at Virginia. Kohles finished 4-over on a course that will host the NCAA Championships next spring. Freshman Ben Rusch, who shot a 14-over, was Virginia's second-highest finisher, landing in 38th place. The Cavaliers will now head to Tampa, Fla., for the Gary Koch Invitational, scheduled for Saturday and Sunday.

Meanwhile, the No. 11 women's golf team experienced similar success at the Golfweek Conference Challenge, finishing first overall for the first time since March 2009, when Virginia won the LSU Golf Classic. Sophomore Brittany Altomare headed the charge, topping the leaderboard with a 4-under. Altomare shot a 2-under on the final day en route to earning medalist honors and becoming the fourth-ever Cavalier to win a tournament. Not far behind Altomare was senior Calle Nielson, who finished strong on the final day with 3-under and 4-over overall to claim eighth place and the 15th top-10 finish of her career. Sophomore Lauren Greenlief tied for 11th with a 5-over. The Cavaliers will return to action at the Tar Heel Invitational Oct. 8-9 in Chapel Hill, N.C.

-compiled by Ben Gomez