Cavaliers run over Campbell

Bates

Virginia sunk to its lowest position in the polls this season today at 15, but that didn't stop the team from bouncing back from Friday night's loss in true defending-champion style, defeating Campbell 4-1 on Senior Night.

The now No. 15 Cavaliers started out the match with their foot on the gas and were rewarded when freshman forward Brian Span's shot went into the top-right corner, putting the Cavaliers ahead 1-0 during the 17th minute.

"I thought we moved the ball really well," coach George Gelnovatch said. "Campbell is a decent side. I thought we played pretty well tonight."

Just four minutes later, Virginia junior forward Brian Ownby made a driving run into the left half of the penalty box and made a low cross to sophomore forward Will Bates, who easily tapped in the finish. Bates was not done for the night, though. In the 35th minute, redshirt junior midfielder Jimmy Simpson's cross from the left side was flicked toward the far post by a lurking Bates, whose header looped over the goalkeeper inside the near post. After halftime, the Cavaliers immediately put the game even further out of reach. Freshman forward Bryan Lima, who came on as a substitute for an injured Ownby immediately after the second goal, notched his first-ever goal for Virginia off of a low cross from Bates.

In the 80th minute, though, a defensive lapse cost senior goalkeeper Diego Restrepo the clean sheet. Freshman defender Eduardo Rodriguez broke free, and his attempt at a goal fell to fellow substitute freshman midfielder Justin Franz, who buried the shot in the top of the net.

"It was unfortunate. I wanted [the] shutout tonight, but this year isn't about numbers. This year is about winning," Restrepo said after his final regular season match at home.

The goalkeeper added that he hoped to close his senior season with another national championship.

"It all depends on how we do Saturday and then in the ACC Tournament," he said.

Fellow senior T.J. Cyrus allowed the emotion of the moment to affect him even more.

"I looked around the field, saw the fans, saw all my teammates lined up - it was like, 'This is it, man,'" the defender said. "It's really a privilege to stay here."

How long Cyrus and the rest of the Cavaliers will be allowed to extend that privilege will depend on their performance during their final regular season match on the road against N.C. State Saturday and in the ACC Tournament, which begins next Wednesday.