Letter from the editor

The 23rd annual Virginia Film Festival, which ran from Nov. 4-7, drew a diverse range of films, speakers and presentations, culminating in the most successful festival yet. It shattered all previous records, in both attendance and sales, drawing nearly 24,000 people to watch more than 130 films.

Why such phenomenal success? In part, it was the innovative leadership of Jody Kielbasa, the director of the festival. This year was the first that the festival did not have a theme, which allowed for a more diverse showcase of films and events. One of the things that we loved about this year's experience was that it emphasized the contemporary, appealing to a wider audience that might be more interested in upcoming blockbusters than obscure movies that happen to fit a more narrow genre. Indeed, we've never really been a fan of the themes, with last year's - "Funny Business" - acting more as a restricting force than an organizing one. For example, last year's theme would never have allowed such disparate films as Guillermo del Toro's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark and Josh Radnor's feel-good Happythankyoumoreplease to come together under one umbrella.

And that brings us to another of this year's success factors: the wonderful selection of films. Although there was no Matthew Broderick or Morgan Freeman presiding over the festival - Guillermo del Toro backed out at the last minute - the festival did bring quality, on-the-horizon titles like Del Toro's and Radner's features as well as 127 Hours or Darren Aronofsky's highly anticipated Black Swan, both of which showed to sold-out audiences. Yet the festival also gave local filmmakers the opportunity to shine: The screening of documentary The Parking Lot Movie, directed by University alum Meghan Eckman, also sold out.

For those of you who missed this year's festival, no need to worry. We have nothing but high hopes for 2011 and will be eagerly anticipating what the future has to hold for Virginia's biggest film event.