Teams honor Crippen

Men defeat Navy in first meet since death; seniors lead way in 50, 100 free

The letters "FC" were written below the "V" on their chests - their emotions were all present in that image.

The members of the Virginia men's swimming and diving team competed in their first meet since the tragic death of former Cavalier Fran Crippen Oct. 23, united by a common cause and imbued with a new purpose.

"They want to swim, represent and train the way Fran did," coach Mark Bernardino said. "If we can replicate his focus, his tenacity, his love of sport and the way he carried himself, then we don't have to win swim meets - we will be winners regardless."

Before the meet took place at the Aquatic & Fitness Center Friday, visiting Navy showed support for its opponent when it presented Athletic Director Craig Littlepage, Bernardino and seniors Matt McLean and Scot Robison with a plaque in Crippen's memory.

"For the Naval Academy to feel the way they felt and then perform the way they performed, I just have the greatest amount of respect and love for their coaching staff, that group of men and what they represent for our country," Bernardino said.

Following the opening ceremony, Virginia proceeded to defeat Navy, 156-136. The 200 medley relay team of freshman Taylor Grey, junior Peter Geissinger, sophomore Matt Murray and Robison put Virginia ahead early with a 1:31.75 victory.

Robison finished first in the 50-meter and 100 freestyle, clocking in at NCAA 'B' times of 20.14 and 44.13, respectively. McLean and junior David Karasek finished behind Robison with times of 45.02 and 46.17 for a 1-2-3 win for the Cavaliers.

McLean and Karasek also swam neck and neck during the 200 freestyle, touching at first and third with NCAA 'B' times of 1:36.05 and 1:39.33, respectively.

Murray took the title in the 200 backstroke after Virginia commanded the pool during the 100 backstroke. He claimed first place in the 100, junior David Wren finished second and freshman Jack Murfee touched third.

The 100 backstroke was not the only race which showcased a solid performance from one of the team's freshmen. Brad Phillips' first place time of 9:10.72 in the 100 freestyle was threatened by fellow freshman Jan Daniec's 9:10.92 second place finish.

Grey claimed both the 100 and 200 breaststroke with times of 56.37 and 2:00.61, demonstrating the young squad's depth and talent.

"Such impressive upperclassmen are always there to push and race you during training," Grey said. "As training intensity in the pool and classroom expectations have increased, the upperclassmen serve as an excellent guide how to be successful in both areas."

The Cavaliers' next competition will be a two-day tri-meet against Virginia Tech and Princeton Nov. 12-13 in Charlottesville.