Squad struggles in two weekend tilts

The Virginia women's basketball team lost its sixth conference game of the season, 84-74, against Clemson at Littlejohn Coliseum Sunday afternoon.

Against the Tigers (10-13, 3-5 ACC), the Cavaliers rallied back from a 19-point deficit late in the first half but still trailed 42-29 at halftime. Virginia (12-11, 1-6 ACC) continued to crawl back into the game and trailed 40-46 with 16:48 remaining, but could not inch much closer. Another Cavalier surge cut Clemson's lead to 72-64 with 3:43 remaining in the game, but the Tigers held on for their third conference victory.

Freshman guard Ataira Franklin scored a career-high 19 points in the loss, shooting 7-for-12 from the field. Clemson senior guard Sthefany Thomas led all scorers with 22 points.

The loss at Clemson came two days after the Cavaliers lost 64-52 at No. 14 North Carolina. After Virginia jumped out to a 10-4 lead at the 16:46 mark of the first half, the Tar Heels stormed back for a 35-26 halftime lead that they did not relinquish.

The Cavaliers next play Wake Forest at home Thursday. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

-compiled by Allen Kha