Runners rack up victories

The Virginia track and field team collected a handful of accolades following a solid overall performance at the 2011 ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships this past weekend.

Friday night, redshirt senior Ryan Collins became the first conference performer to win three-straight ACC titles in the 5000m. The All-American became just the 16th athlete in the conference to win three titles in an individual track event in the 51-year history of the championship. His time of 14:07.68 in this year's 5000m event marks the third-fastest winning time during the last 23 years.

Meanwhile, for the women's side, the distance medley relay team consisting of junior Morgane Gay, freshman Vanessa Fabrizio, senior Lyndsay Harper and redshirt senior Stephanie Garcia shattered Virginia's 28-year-old program record with a 11:14.15 winning time - a time that ranks No. 14 nationally.

On the final day, senior Marcus Robinson and freshman Anthony Kostelac won their first-ever ACC Championship crowns.

Robinson tallied a career-best leap of 52 feet, 8 inches to win the triple jump, placing him second all-time in Virginia history.

Kostelac, the current top-ranked NCAA freshman in the 800m, won his event title with a personal-best time of 1:49.24.

The Cavaliers will now gear up for the Virginia Tech final qualifier scheduled for March 4 in Blacksburg.

-compiled by Abbey Hendricks