Incoming Lawnies have 3.77 average GPA

Commerce students take most rooms, followed by interdisciplinary majors

The University released data last Wednesday profiling the incoming class of Lawn residents. The data revealed 70 percent of the accepted students are in the College, and the average GPA among residents is 3.77.

The next largest student sections of residents, at 12 percent each, study in the Commerce and Engineering Schools, leaving each of the Architecture, Education and Nursing Schools with a 2 percent representation.

Of the 28 residents pursuing single majors, 12 percent are majoring in commerce; 8 percent in both Political and Social Thought and Politics Honors; 6 percent each in biology, chemistry and human biology; and 4 percent each in biomedical engineering, foreign affairs, history, mechanical engineering and Spanish. A total of 15 Lawn students plan on double majoring. Ten percent of Lawn residents are pursuing second degrees in economics; six percent in history; four percent in American Studies, French or an interdisciplinary major.

During the past five years, the number of applicants has decreased from 297 for the 2007-08 academic year to 233 for 2011-12. The application process probes students to reflect on their achievements, consider their contributions and respond to how living on the Lawn would nurture that spirit. Defining Lawn life as a "responsibility" in addition to an honor, the application asks students to expand on this role.

As for the composition of the new Lawn community, Dean of Students Allen Groves believes the selection process results in a diverse and varied group of students living on the Lawn each year.

"What they have in common is academic excellence - a critical component of this community - and a record of service to the University," Groves said. "However, how they have spent their time at U.Va. and the ways in which they have contributed tends to be very diverse."

Each year, 22 ex officio members representing various organizations across Grounds join a random sample of fourth years on the Lawn Selection Committee to review and vote on applications during a two-week period. For the first time this year, the random sample was invited by an email, which was sent to randomly chosen fourth years in good academic standing, of which 23 were added.

"I think it was good to balance the selection committee," said Shannon Sullivan, current head resident of the Lawn. "I think we're really going to represent a diverse range of experiences and range of perspectives."

Committee members have access to transcripts and application essays and are told to use their own judgment while looking for academic and extracurricular distinction. There is no specific quota or GPA cutoff, although academic merit is a factor. Additionally, applications are blindly evaluated.

During the voting process, committee members are allowed to cast 60 'yes' votes and must establish a waitlist.

"Sometimes when endowed rooms are filled, it shuffles things around," Sullivan said. "60 'yes' votes gives 47 rooms plus a waitlist of 10."

Of the 54 rooms available, seven are endowed, two of which do not have a separate application process but are awarded to preselected students. As a result, two waitlist slots are automatically open. The seven endowed rooms include 1 West for an outstanding pre-med student, 7 West for a Jefferson Literary and Debating Society member, 15 West as the "Good Guy" room, 17 West for a Trigon Engineering Society student, 37 West for the Honor Committee, 26 East for the head resident and 46 East for a Kappa Sigma fraternity brother. Five of these rooms have separate application processes, and Patricia Lampkin, vice president for Student Affairs, must approve the selections.

All other rooms were drafted under the watch of Reedy Swanson, incoming head resident of the Lawn.

"We get everybody who is not in the seven endowed rooms to pick a card from a deck of cards, and then go in order from the ace of spades, and like a draft, it goes right down the line until all the rooms have been picked," Swanson said. Following the assignments, residents are given a couple of days to work out any trades, although none were made this year.

"I'm really looking forward to see what next year's Lawnies are able to do in terms of making this community their own and pulling together a group of outstanding people and making an impact on the University," Swanson added.

Groves commented on the high honor of being chosen by peers to live on the Lawn during a student's fourth year, charging new residents to be active and engaging University citizens.

"The challenge for new Lawnies each year is to work quickly to establish a strong sense of community with each other and the faculty who live in nine of the 10 pavilions," Groves said. "Ultimately, the Lawn is a residential community and each group of student-residents holds it in trust for those who come after them. With that privilege comes a high degree of responsibility"