Squad defends crown

The No. 5 Virginia rowing team swept all four ACC Championship races for the second consecutive season to successfully defend its conference title. The Cavaliers, who have snagged 11 of the last 12 crowns, finished the regatta with a total of 60 points - 11 points more than runner-up No. 14 Clemson.

The heavily-favored Virginia squad jumped out to an early lead as both the Varsity Four and the Novice Eight teams registered commanding victories in their respective events. The Novice Eight team finished more than 10 seconds ahead of the Blue Devils' boat before the Varsity Eight team notched a first-place finish at the 6:23.9 mark.

The Second Varsity Eight team nabbed the Cavaliers' third victory of the morning a short while later as the group crossed the finish line nearly five seconds ahead of the Clemson squad. With the win, the Second Varsity Eight team improved its overall record to 7-1.

Following the Second Varsity Eight win, the Varsity Eight team cemented the Cavaliers' sweep with a narrow first-place finish in the premiere event. The Cavaliers held off Clemson's Varsity Eight team - the ACC Crew of the Year - to eke out a victory by a 1.2 second margin.

At the end of the regatta, coach Kevin Sauer earned ACC Coach of the Year honors. Sauer and the Cavaliers will resume competition next Saturday against top-ranked Princeton, No. 19 Tennessee and Columbia.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski