Virginia treks to ACCs as favorite

The No. 2 Virginia rowing team travels south to Clemson, S.C. this weekend, eyeing an opportunity to defend its conference title and once again exert its dominance against its rivals at the ACC Championships. The Cavaliers, who are also reigning national champions, have collected 10 of the last 11 ACC crowns.

During last season's event, Virginia swept all four events - the Varsity Eight, the Second Varsity Eight, the Novice Eight and the Varsity Four - to capture a total of 60 points and place them 10 points ahead of runner-up Clemson.

Following last season's superb performance and a solid body of work during the 2011 campaign, the Cavaliers are heavily favored again at this weekend's competition. Virginia secured the top seed in all four events, topping the Tigers who nabbed every No. 2 seed.

Perhaps the Cavaliers' best chance for victory will come from its Second Varsity Eight team, which has strung together an impressive season thus far. The group, which earned its second ACC Crew of the Week honors following last weekend's outing, touts a 6-1 record and boasts three victories against top-five programs.

Following Virginia's appearance at the ACC Championships, the squad will travel to New Jersey to square off against Princeton, Tennessee and Columbia before facing Notre Dame and Louisville less than two weeks before the NCAA Championships.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski