London trusts his young guns

Coach counting on Romero, Nicholson, Richardson to solidify depth chart as season opener looms large

Freshman linebacker Daquan Romero made long, easy strides across the field after the Virginia football team's practice Monday afternoon. After grabbing a bottle of water, he joked with junior linebacker LaRoy Reynolds - Romero's competition at the weakside linebacker position this fall - before allowing one of his other teammates to take a sip of his post-practice beverage. Romero seemed at ease, comfortable in his relatively new environment.

And though it may come as a surprise to some that the freshman appears to possess the demeanor of a seasoned Virginia veteran, Romero is confident that, despite his rookie status, he can and will contribute to the continual rebuilding of the program.

"I think the future is here and now because everyone is starting to give in and believe," Romero said. "I'm ready to do what the coaches want me to do."

Coach Mike London already has expressed confidence in the defender by ranking him No. 2 behind Reynolds on the depth chart at weakside linebacker. Reynolds started 11 of 12 games and led the team with 66 tackles during the Cavaliers' 4-8 campaign in 2010.

Romero said London's belief in his incoming players, coupled with his earnest desire to welcome each of them into the Virginia football family, is appealing to those choosing where to play football after high school.

"Because there is an influx of young talent that is going to have to play, on the recruiting trail I said, 'You're gonna play,' and that's one of the reasons why they decided to come here - to find out who they are," London said. "We have an idea, but [we] afford them every opportunity early to get them on the field and show if they're ready to play college football."

Freshman cornerback Demetrious Nicholson, the 2010 Gatorade Player of the Year in Virginia and an ESPNU top-150 prospect, and freshman tailback Clifton Richardson - also an ESPNU top-150 prospect - are also expected to see the gridiron during their first season. Nicholson likely will split time with senior cornerback Dom Joseph and sophomore cornerback Rijo Walker on the opposite side of standout senior cornerback Chase Minnifield. Richardson, meanwhile, hopes to earn touches behind junior tailback Perry Jones and redshirt freshman tailback Kevin Parks, the 2009 Old Spice Red Zone National Player of the Year.

Despite the fact that the new faces of the incoming top-25 freshman class - and some slightly older faces like Parks - will likely nab reps from older players, the senior members of the team are willing to allow the young talents to take the team to new heights in 2011.

"I told [the freshmen], 'We're going to a bowl game, so get that in your head and do what you got to do and work to make it there. This is my last season, and we gotta do it. If you aren't on board, then we have to leave you behind,'" senior wide receiver Kris Burd said. "[But] I feel like with the class [London] just brought in, and what their capabilities are for us, I feel like this year will be the year."

But until Romero and his fellow freshmen take the field for the first time and attempt to prove Burd's prediction correct, the young linebacker remains content to confidently grow under the radar - and watch his friend Reynolds mow down people at practice.

"The most common thing [I've learned from Reynolds] is ... if you're going to make a mistake, make sure you make it at full speed," Romero said with a smile. "He just makes sure that he's blowing somebody up, that somebody's going to end up on their back. It's just great to watch"