McLean snags gold medal

Former Cavalier standout Matt McLean collected two first-place finishes while representing the United States at the 2011 World University Games. Photo by Thomas Bynum
\nFormer Virginia men's swimmer Matt McLean continued his strong showing at the 2011 World University Games in Shenzhen, China by winning gold in the 200-meter freestyle Thursday.

Representing the United States, McLean posted a time of 1:47.43 in the event and missed the World University Games record by just .02 seconds.

The win gave McLean his second gold medal at the competition. Tuesday, McLean swam the anchor leg for the victorious American 4x200 freestyle relay team, which finished in 7:13.54.\nHis relay split of 1:47.24 was the fastest of any swimmer in the event.

McLean concluded a star-studded four-year career for the Cavaliers after his 2011 Spring campaign. That season he won the 2011 NCAA title in the 500-meter freestyle, earned All-America\nhonors, and was named Swimmer of the Championships at the 2011 ACC Men's Swimming and Diving Championships as well as 2011 ACC Men's Swimmer of the Year.

-compiled by Matt Welsh