Cook arrested for battery

Former Virginia and current Minnesota Vikings cornerback Chris Cook was arrested Saturday on charges of felony domestic assault/strangulation and fifth-degree domestic assault. The second-year NFL player is being held without bail at Hennepin County jail in Minneapolis, Minn.

Cook's court hearing is scheduled for this morning. The Vikings declined to comment beyond keeping Cook out of Minnesota's home game against the Green Bay Packers Sunday.

Cook was accused but ultimately acquitted of a misdemeanor count of brandishing a firearm during the spring and reportedly spoke with Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier about his disciplinary issues during the offseason.

Cook was suspended twice while at Virginia and missed the entire 2008 season for academic reasons before returning for his senior season in 2009. That year, Cook amassed 40 tackles, four interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown, and six passes defended.

The Vikings made Cook their top choice in the 2010 NFL Draft when they drafted him during the second round with the 34th overall pick. Cook struggled through a rookie season plagued by injuries to both knees. He had emerged as an important piece of the Vikings secondary this season, however, by starting during Minnesota's last three games and totaling 20 tackles and four passes defended through the first six games of the year.

-compiled by Matt Welsh