Running the 10 (ML)K

The Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial should remind us of the long journey ahead in overcoming inequality

LAST SUNDAY, around 10,000 people arrived on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. to view the dedication of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial. The memorial's journey to dedication was years in the making and its existence should be celebrated by all those who value compassion, equality and justice. The memorial permanently returns King and his message to the National Mall more than 48 years after his "I Have a Dream Speech," which inspired and uplifted Americans who were suffering during one of the cruelest periods of racial oppression.

Sitting along the tidal basin, the memorial is on a direct line between the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial, structures that honor two of the nation's greatest voices for unity, perseverance and equality. Entering the memorial, the visitor walks through the "Mountain of Despair," a boulder cut in half and separated, inscribed with King's words. Then the visitor comes upon the "Stone of Hope," the missing piece of the "Mountain of Despair," featuring a larger-than-life carving of King looking toward the tidal basin.

Calling this memorial important is an understatement. It enshrines the teachings and work of a man who helped pave the way for a massive expansion of equality. But, more importantly, the memorial offers hope for change - hope that is much needed today as discrimination and injustice linger.

This past weekend I stayed with family friends, two of the most loving and accepting people I know. They live in a rural, southern area and their political beliefs and views on race and other classifications differ from many in their community. Not too long ago, they awoke to find a plastic bag containing an invitation to a Ku Klux Klan rally and a Tootsie Roll at their mailbox.

While I have never been na