Jaws of life

After analyzing more than 300 skulls, researchers have concluded there is a correlation between a society's type of economy and its members jawbone shape. A study published last week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences suggests there is a significant difference between the jawbones of hunting versus agricultural populations. Anthropologist Noreen von Cramon-Taubadel examined skulls from 11 different populations and was able to compare those who ate food based on a hunting and gathering lifestyle with those whose diet was based on agriculture. Data showed that hunter-gatherers overall had longer, narrower jawbones, giving the population enough room to accommodate wisdom teeth. These molars were useful for breaking down hard substances during intense chewing.

On the other hand, jawbones of farming populations proved to be shorter and wider, leaving less room for teeth. Soft foods such as wheat, corn and rice require less chewing. This evolutionary trend explains why jaws today have less room for wisdom teeth. This accounts for the increasing popularity of wisdom teeth surgery - jaws can no longer accommodate these extra molars.

-compiled by Michelle Lim