No link to tumors

A recent study conducted by the Institute of Cancer Epidemiology in Denmark shows no link between cell phone use and brain tumors. The study followed 350,000 people with cell phones during an 18-year period from 1982 to 1995 with a follow-up in 1996 and again in 2002 to reach its conclusions. Many scientists in the U.K., U.S., Austria, Sweden and Australia, however, characterize the methodology for the latest results this year as "seriously flawed."

Critics believe that for a study to be conducted about rare diseases such as brain cancer millions of people must be closely followed for decades to find reliable results. The researchers themselves also acknowledge some limitations to the study, noting that they excluded people who used their phones for business purposes - among the heaviest cell phone users. The U.K. Department of Health continues to advise that anyone under the age of 16 should use cell phones only for emergency purposes and keep all calls short. The United States Department of Health & Human Services's website states that "the weight of scientific evidence has not linked cell phones with any health problems," however, and advises no limits on cell phone use.

-compiled by Fiza Hashmi