Va. population at high

Weldon Cooper Center finds Virginia

A study by the University's Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service released Monday found Virginia's population grew faster than the national average between April 2010 and July 2011.

Researcher Rebecca Tippett said the state's population grew 1.2 percent, while the nation's population increased by only 1 percent.

Tippett said the majority of the growth occurred in Virginia's cities.

"Consistent with national patterns, most growth is in the urban crescent," Tippett said. "Most growth is in Richmond and Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach and Norfolk."

Demographers used a regression-based model to gather data for the study, which looked at statistics including birth rates, death rates and housing construction to estimate the change in popultaion.

"This is an estimate, not yet a trend," Tippett said. "[The growth] could be because people moved back to the cities, it could be because of commutes or gas prices - but we don't know yet if it's a serious trend."

According to the study, Albemarle County's population grew 1.8 percent from April 2010 to July 2011, but County spokesperson Lee Catlin said the growth may not be a permanent trend.

"We don't know if this is a one year phenomenon due to outside factors or if it will manifest itself next year or in the future," Catlin said.

He also said he did not find the population changes very significant.

Charlottesville Vice Mayor Kristen Szakos said the growth, while seemingly small, is a healthy trend.

"I believe Charlottesville's population density is a positive thing when we talk about an ability to sustain things like a public transport system," she said.

Economics Prof. James Harrigan said the growth represents a slow and steady increase. "Population growth is good for Virginia," he said. "It's bad for congestion, but you have a circle of more supply and demand."

Catlin said this cycle of supply and demand could contribute to the improvement of the Charlottesville community.

"You need a certain amount of people to come in to replace those that leave and provide new energy, but that has to balance against the character of the county," Catlin said. "We like to see growth in a place that doesn't threaten our community"