A project of mammoth proportions

Artistic students reimagine turn-of-the-century Brooks Hall

The cardboard mammoth seemed to appear overnight, and once it secured its place in the back of Clark Hall, people hardly asked any questions. I watched students, texting on their iPhones, bump into the mammoth's trunk or trip over its back leg. Only a few stopped to consider its painted features or examine its ruffled underside.

"Her name is Wilma," said Susannah Cadwalader, the chair of the Arts Board which annually brings a distinguished artist, musician or dramatist to Grounds. This year's artist was Tom Burckhardt, a painter and sculptor from New York. With Burckhardt's guidance, a group of students known colloquially as the "Cardboard Company" undertook a massive project: the creative reinterpretation of Brooks Hall, circa 1900 - all out of cardboard.

The students have been transporting the cardboard construction around Grounds to publicize the current exhibition in Ruffin Gallery, which is how Wilma ended up at Clark.

Standing east of the Rotunda on University Avenue, Brooks Hall is an architectural anomaly among the University's neo-classical fare. Its gargoyle heads and ornamented fa