‘Gossip’ still worth talking about

Whether it’s Blair and Serena’s friendship, the on-and-off romance between Chuck and Blair, Nate’s ridiculous good looks, Lonely Boy’s musing or just the amazing fashion and NYC scenery, there are millions of reasons to tune in weekly for the latest scoop from our beloved Gossip Girl. But after five years of high fashion and higher drama, it looks like we’re all going to have to say goodbye; at the end of season six, which premiered last Monday, the show that has brought the lives of a group of Upper East Side socialites to homes across the world will come to an end.

Looking back on the journey we’ve taken with our Upper East Side family, it’s amazing where our favorite cast of characters has ended up. Thankfully, it looks like budding billionaire playboy Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick) and brainy trendsetter Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester) may actually wed and put hopeless romantics like me out of our collective misery. Yet former “Lonely Boy” and hipster Dan Humphrey (Penn Badgley) is still set on his path to win Blair’s heart. His decision to pursue the Upper East Side princess and put aside his former feelings for the stylish Serena van der Woodsen (Blake Lively) was arguably the biggest twist in the show’s history. We can only hope all will right itself in the end, but if more plot turns like this one shake up the scene, we may be in for a bumpy ride.

Meanwhile, Serena seems set on her continued path of destruction and rebirth and is now seeing a man who somehow believed she was Sabrina from Wisconsin until her friends told him otherwise in one of the show’s more ridiculous moments. Can anyone imagine Serena milking a cow? She prefers her cows in the form of leather belts, boots and jackets. Forced to come clean to her new mystery man, ‘S’ is prepared to introduce him to the battleground that is Manhattan — after all, S and B’s recent war will inevitably result in some casualties, and what better way to kick off a new season on the Upper East Side?

As for our favorite beautiful laxer/stoner/journalist, Nate Archibald is running the NYC media scene while continuing to line up and knock down some of the city’s most eligible bachelorettes. While the adults of the show catalyze the dramas, the writers have always managed to keep millions fascinated with these fabulous five masters of manipulation and drama. And if the season six premiere is any indication of things to come, we’re in for another season of tumultuous fights, friendships and unforgettable romance.

The last episode focused on establishing fresh new conflicts and pouring salt on old wounds to keep things interesting and set up new stakes, but I can only hope that, as the season proceeds, the writers will finally answer some of our long-standing questions and tie up some of the more excruciating loose ends. I’m sure we won’t be allowed to get there painlessly. Like GG herself said at the end of the premiere, “You may think my best days are behind me, but this old girl still has some new tricks. Stay tuned. Xoxo, Gossip Girl.”