Cavalier track and field nab 7th place at ACC Indoor Championships

Individual superlatives took center stage during the three days of competition at the ACC Indoor Championships in Blacksburg, Va. last weekend. Both the men’s and women’s teams finished in seventh place despite career best efforts by many Cavaliers.

Sophomore sprinter Jordan Lavender’s record setting performance in the women’s 400m run highlighted the Virginia women’s performance. Lavender finished with a time of 53.14, nearly a full second faster than previous school record holder Lisa Garnett. The effort was good enough for a solid second place finish behind Clemson senior Marlena Wesh, a 2012 Olympian.

Freshman Peyton Chaney set two personal records in the 60m and 200m runs while contributing five points to the team. Chaney’s 7.60 in the 60 earned her seventh place, and her 24.31 in the 200 merited sixth.

Junior Barbara Strehler edged out sophomore teammate Kathleen Stevens for eighth place in the 3000m. Strehler’s time of 9:30.77 ranks eighth in school history, just ahead of Stevens’ 9:30.84.

Both Cavalier men and women thrived in the triple jump. Senior Dallas Rose jumped her way to a third place finish, missing her personal best by a quarter of an inch. Sophomore Ryan Satchell also finished third in the men’s long jump.

For the male runners, sophomore Peyton Hazzard clocked a 47.43 for fourth in the 400m. Junior Taylor Gilland scored five points with a fourth place finish in the men’s mile.

Both men’s and women’s squads closed the competition by crossing the line fourth in the 4×400m relay.

—compiled by Matt Wurzburger